Film amount: Total length of the film in meters. You can estimate the length by measuring the outer diameter of the reel;
- ⌀8cm = 15m (50ft)
- ⌀10cm = 30m (100ft)
- ⌀13cm = 60m (200ft)
- ⌀15cm = 90m (300ft)
- ⌀18cm = 120m (400ft)
- ⌀22cm = 180m (600ft)
- The Flat scan is a low saturation and low contrast option, which requires post-color work.
- The Onelight option gives an average exposure and color scan with a single correction for each reel.
- In the Bestlight scan, contrast and color are optimized by correcting each shot individually.
Output Format: Usually MP4 is a good choice when sharing video on the web (e.g. Youtube). ProRes 422 Proxy is easier to handle in various editing programs. ProRes 422HQ balances High-Quality and reasonable file sizes while ProRes 4444 provides the best quality but a heavier file.
Camera frame rate (fps): Setting that the film has been shot with. The most common frame rates are listed, but if the frame rate varies or is unknown, please select “Other / Don’t Know”.
Scan area: Please note that the scanning resolution (1456 x 1080) is the same for all options.
There are different options for the film area to be scanned. Select one of the following three. If you are not sure which one, we recommend the “Overscan” option.
- “Cropped” scan area is slightly smaller than the exposed frame, leaving no extra around the edges such as Overscan and Super Overscan would do.
- “Overscan” scan area is slightly larger than the exposed frame. For example, digital image stabilization can be performed on this material.
- “Super Overscan” area to be scanned is considerably larger than the exposed frame. Scan area may include parts of the previous and next frames and film edges.
Film handling: When you choose Scanning + prep for scan, 2m (6ft 67in) film leaders will be added to the beginning and the end of the reel which will guide the material through the scanner before the actual film. If there are multiple cartridges, they’ll be spooled onto a larger reel.
Note to always choose prep for scan for each roll you want to scan. In case you have already chosen it for processing, you can choose ’no prepping’.